Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Word of the day: Fauve


Fauve Farm VI

Original 8" x 10" x 0.75" painting
Golden and Liquitex acrylic paints on gallery-wrapped canvas

The paintings of the Fauves were characterised by seemingly wild brush work and strident colours, while their subject matter had a high degree of simplification and abstraction. Fauvism can be classified as an extreme development of Van Gogh's Post-Impressionism fused with the pointillism of Seurat and other Neo-Impressionist painters, in particular Paul Signac. Other key influences were Paul Cezanne and Paul Gauguin. The leaders of the movement were Henri Matisse and André Derain. (Wikipedia)

Matisse is one of my favorite artists of the last century. The boldness of his color choices and the seeming simplicity of his compositions were a major draw for me when I was an art student.

I love the Fauve style of painting because it allows me to use bold, bright colors--and I love to play with color.