Sunday, February 1, 2009

Wide Open Spaces

Red Prairie Sky with Creek
Original 24" x 30" x 0.75" painting
Golden and Liquitex acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas

One of my favorite subjects to paint are the wide open spaces of the West. Fortunately, I live in a place that has many dramatic scenes from which to choose my subjects. Colorado has many such dramatic landscapes to choose from: prairie, mountains, forests, and deserts. We are also close to other states in the West that offer equally dramatic contrasts in topography.

I originally came from New York. I grew up on the North Shore of Long Island, but I moved upstate as a teen. The Hudson River Valley and Catskill Mountains are beautiful places too, and I have done many paintings of that part of the country as well. What struck me when I traveled west as a young woman was how there were so many wide open spaces between the cities and towns. Back East you leave one town and enter another as you travel. Here in the West you can travel for miles through open country before you reach the next town. It's a dramatic contrast to life in the East, and one that I've enjoyed now for nearly 30 years.

This painting is currently listed for sale on all of the online venues where I post my work. I invite you to choose a link from the top right section of my blog to see this and other original acrylics I currently have for sale.