Saturday, March 7, 2009

Monument Valley Sunset


Monument Valley Sunset
Original 24" x 36" x 0.75" painting
Golden, Liquitex, and Atelier acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas

Two summers ago my family and I went on a vacation--our Southwest Odyssey--through Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico. This painting was inspired by the truly awesome beauty of the landscape at Monument Valley in Arizona. This painting won an international award on Art.com last year in their Places competition--one of fifteen awards given.

I am fortunate enough to live in the West where the stark beauty of the desert is only a few hours driving from my home in Golden. It never escapes me each and every time I travel in the West what a privilege it is to be so close to such awesome beauty, and to be able to transform my photos and memories of those places into paintings.

Quote of the day: "I dream of a hard and brutal mysticism in which the naked self merges with a nonhuman world and yet somehow survives still intact, individual, separate. Paradox and bedrock." --Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire