Sunday, April 12, 2009

First Dibs


First Dibs
Original 30" x 40" x 0.75" painting
Golden, Liquitex, and Atelier acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas

Today's painting is a new abstract composition in my decorative line of paintings. I've begun to venture into the realm of more abstract paintings as a challenge to myself, and to broaden the selection of my work for my patrons. Abstracts are among the most difficult compositions to paint, despite their seemingly apparent simplicity. The challenge for me is to create abstract compositions that are cohesive and fluid. They are a reminder of the joy I find in challenging myself, as well as the sheer joy of painting.

Tip of the Day
Tax day is on the horizon. It's an important reminder for artists selling their work to remember the business side of what they're doing. As much as we love the creative side of what we do, the practical matters of being in business for yourself require some of your time and attention. All of your materials you purchase to create, sell, and ship your work come right off the top of your taxable income. It's important to maintain good records of what you spend on things like art supplies, shipping supplies, postage and delivery charges, fees paid to sell and promote your work, etc. for preparing your tax return.

Quote of the Day
"Art doesn't begin with a brush and a palette, but with the artist's ability to perceive life. You have to learn how to live before you can learn how to paint." --Dean Mitchell