Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oriental Blossoms VI


Oriental Blossoms VI
Original 72" x 24" x 0.75" painting
Three 24" x 24" canvases
Golden, Liquitex, and Chroma acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas

Today's work includes the newest edition in the Oriental Blossoms series. I'm still anxiously awaiting the return of the pink blossoms on the crabapple tree in my back yard, but I will be patient. I've also seen buds on the lilacs starting to form, for which I'm equally excited. I remember when my husband was courting me, and how much I loved receiving a sprig of lilacs from him. They were--and continue to be--among my favorite flowers. I'll take lilacs over a dozen roses any day.

Tip of the Day
When you're selling your artwork online a question that may not occur to you is what should I sell? You may have a particular medium, or mediums, that you use for your work, but what subject matter really sells? That's going to take some research on your part. For myself, I chose landscape paintings as my primary subject because that's what was selling when I started out--and I'd only painted a handful of landscapes when I was in school.

I quickly realized that I could get more sales doing landscapes, and once I established myself in the marketplace I could branch out into other subjects--like still lifes and florals--because people knew my name and my work. Determine who's selling what in your medium, and make those decisions.

Quote of the Day
"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony." --Mahatma Ghandi