Monday, April 20, 2009

Flower Garden Against Yellow Sky III


Flower Garden Against Yellow Sky III
Original 24" x 36" x 0.75" painting
Golden, Liquitex, and Chroma acrylics on gallery-wrapped canvas

Today's work includes the newest painting in my Flower Garden series. A patron who's bought some of my work before commissioned a 48" x 64" painting from this series. I'm excited to paint that one on such a large canvas. I typically buy my canvases pre-stretched, but the cost gets a bit prohibitive for anything larger than a 30" x 40". Roll canvas is the way to go, in my opinion, for larger paintings. Shipping larger paintings can cost a bundle, and in this market your patron's dollar is better spent on the art than getting it there.

I'm pleased to announce that I have a new apprentice as well. He's been working with me for a couple of weeks now, and has a background in literature, photography, web design and programming. It's been great having someone to work with, and he brings the kind of enthusiasm to my studio that reminds me of when I was in art school. I look forward to seeing his work progress, and I'm enjoying the collaboration too.

Tip of the Day
Shop around for the best deal on your art supplies. The major suppliers for painting include ASW, Dick Blick, and Jerry's Artarama. I highly recommend signing up for their emails that advertise sales on materials, and to plan enough ahead to take advantage of low or no-cost ground shipping. There are certain costs that you have absolutely zero control over: listing fees on sales venues, shipping charges, phone, internet, etc. Take advantage of things like sales on art supplies so you can increase your margin as much as possible.

Quote of the Day
"The ultimate authority must always rest with the individual's own reason and critical analysis." --Dalai Lama